Wednesday, May 13, 2009

4th Grade

Each year in 4th grade, the students experience a Differently Abled Unit for a week. This is the week the kids look forward to all year. We focus on 3 different impairments: visual, physical, and hearing. Throughout the week there are many different simulations the students participate in: coin activity (identifying coins while blindfolded), unfair spelling test (either being blindfolded, ear plugs in, or dominant hand behind back), eating lunch blindfolded or going to music class blindfolded. Lunch is usually a big hit.

eating lunch blindfolded

We also have numerous guests come in throughout the week to give first hand experiences. This year a man from Newton came and talked about being in a wheelchair (when he was 21 he was in a car accident that paralyzed him from his stomach down), a sophomore at Moundridge High School who is hearing impaired came in and talked about what it is like to be hearing impaired as well as answering many of the students questions. Then we also had my sister-in-law, Cori, come and do a signing presentation since she is a signing interpreter.

Brian reading a book while Cori signs it

To complete the week we have an afternoon of stations for the students to experience. We have a physical station (doing physical activities like batting a baseball, dribbling a basketball, jumping rope, etc while being blindfolded),

physical station

hearing station (experiencing a vibrating alarm clock which can also go off when a baby cries as well as closed captioning and instant messaging), smelling station (smelling 8 different items and trying to identify them),

smelling station

Braille writing station (writing a message in Braille using glue and typing on a Braille typewriter),

Braille writing

feeling station (while blindfolded feeling maps, sand paper, and identifying shapes), and an obstacle course (maneuvering a wheelchair - going across bumps, through a narrow doorway, and up a ramp).

the narrow doorway

Today our last guest came in, Ms. Luka, a blind woman who lives in Salina, KS. She is such a fascinating person and is in WAY better shape and more active than I am. She told us she's been coming to talk with the 4th graders every year since 1991 - that is amazing too. Each child receives a packet from her that includes their name in Braille as well as other interesting information. In June she plans to go to Chicago, IL with her sister and 5 other friends to participate in the Breast Cancer walk (she will be walking 26 miles on the first day-a marathon, and 13 miles on the 2nd-a half-marathon). As I said, what a phenomenal woman!!!

As a culminating activity we always have groups create a list of 6 things to keep in mind when "meeting a differently abled person". We really hope the things we talk about during the week help instill an understanding that these students will take with them for life. Once again, we feel our differently abled week was a complete success. I was glad I was able to experience this with Ryan this year, as my last differently abled unit has concluded.

Tomorrow it is 4th grade field trip day as we are heading to the roller skating rink in Newton and then to Athletic Park for a picnic. Then Wednesday is Fun Day at school and the last day. Absolutely unbelievable that it is over and now my oldest child will be headed to the Middle School - I have a feeling tears will be shed by his mother:( But, as always, when one chapter in life ends, another one begins - Ryan's middle school years. I hope I'm ready as a mother:)

2 comments:

Rice Family said...

Tomorrow is not gonna be good. I teared up just reading this and thinking about the boys moving on to middle school. Wah!

Alan and Kristen said...

I love the unit idea. I've never heard of doing that before, but I'm sure it has a huge impact on the kids.