Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snow . . . finally!

 We finally had a beautiful snow in Kansas on January 10.  We did not end up getting a snow day for it, but this is what I woke up to in the morning.  Maybe it is because it doesn't happen often for us, but I just think it is such a gorgeous thing . . . fresh, light, white snow!  I love how these photos show the snow still falling --- again, that is a rare thing in these parts.

 The back deck.


 Looking out back from our back door.  The picture captured each beautiful flake.


After school, we decided to go out and enjoy the snow with some sledding.  Bundling up the kids is NOT my favorite part and it took so long to get Andrew and Grant ready . . . I never got a picture of Tyler in the snow.  He was inside because he was too cold before we got out.  I will admit, the wind was pretty strong and it was chilly.  We had heard the snow was coming, so for Andrew's birthday we had given him a sled (and bought a second one for the family too).  So, the snow coming meant we had to go and try out sledding.

 Not sure he could move very well, but he was bundled up!

 Andrew thought scooping the snow was fun.

 Looks like he had a long way to go:)

 His other favorite activity was sitting in it.  Maybe that contributed to him being VERY wet and cold when he went inside.  I will give him credit though, he made it the longest of all the boys.  He toughed it out!!!

 Ryan and Andrew, ready to go.  

 Chris pulled them behind the 4-wheeler through the field.  I came behind on the other 4-wheeler as the "photographer".

 Stopped . . . huh, I wonder what is going on.  Of course, as a mom, took the picture before going to find out.

 Notice, new rider with Andrew.  Ryan was FREEZING (maybe because he never chooses to put on enough clothes to be warm), so he stole my 4-wheeler and I became the sled driver. 

 Ryan headed back to the house.

 Of course, Grant wanted to go where Dad was even though he was cold too.  

 Andrew, Grant, and Dad

 Andrew "fell" in the snow again.
  He seemed to be "tripping" quite often.

 Dad and Andrew ready again.

 Uh oh . . . fell again.

Yes, a very blurry picture, but this is what happens when the "photographer" is driving the 4-wheeler pulling the sled.  I was actually impressed because I took this photo AS I was driving, the camera on my one shoulder.  And our dog Hershey even made it in the picture.  I really wish it was in focus:(
Now move ahead almost 2 weeks to Jan. 22.  There is still a little bit of snow, but very little.  Tyler has his friend Trevor over and they decide to go outside.  The next thing I know they come running in yelling, "We're sledding and it is so fun!"  They found the one place that still had snow, icy snow at that, which happened to be down the hill in our backyard.  Needless to say, this entertained them for a while.


Tyler and Trevor sledding



Andrew sledding

At least it entertained them for a while.  Of course, Andrew got his clothes all wet so I quickly had to change him before heading out to Ryan's basketball game.  It was fun watching them!

1 comment:

Crescent said...

Those were absolutley beautiful pictures!! I'm glad you guys got out and enjoyed the snow...and the cold.