Friday, June 11, 2010

Summertime

I can hardly believe we have had 3 weeks of summer already. The time has flown by . . . but yet a lot has happened in that time also. Here's a little run down of the events so far, since it's been so long since I've posted.

* Worked to pack up 5th grade stuff in my classroom - I'm changing positions next year and will be the 6-8 grade science teacher.
* This entails moving classrooms too --- which I haven't quite gotten to yet (still on the summer list).
* Grant's surgery at the end of May. He's recovering VERY well.
* The circus came to Moundridge (definitely small town circus, but fun for the little ones)
Grant on the pony ride at the circus

Andrew on the pony ride

* Andrew went to Bible School with his cousin Luke in Newton --- we had picnics in the park for lunch afterward and somehow never captured any of it on film - whoops!
* The boys found the best way to cool off on a hot summer day --- running through the sprinklers in the yard! It has already provided hours of entertainment!!!

Andrew LOVED IT! Grant took in more of the mist from a distance:)

* Tyler has played 3 t-ball games with a record of 2-1.

Andrew and Grant enjoying a puppy at a baseball game:)

* Ryan has played 3 baseball games with a record of 3-0.

Ryan plays a little bit of catcher! He likes it - it would scare me!!!

* Mom completed a week of classes from 8-5 for 5 days straight --- Earth Partnership for Schools through Dyck Arboretum. It was a whirlwind crazy week, but I would highly recommend the class. It was awesome and I learned a TON (although there are still many more things to learn). It was amazing to get back out in nature and truly enjoy the immense beauty of God's creation. What a week!!!

We took a field trip on day one to Maxwell Game Preserve - prairie for miles and miles - absolutely breathtaking!

Prairie flowers

Buffalo roaming (with their baby calf)

And buffalo right up next to our tour tram --- what a beautiful Bull.


The quilt our class made by each of us drawing something from nature on a block, painting it, and stamping it onto the quilt. I think I'll be working with my mother to bind it and then have to figure out how to get it quilted or tied.



Dyck Arboretum


The wonderful color throughout the arboretum . . .

* The anticipation of harvest is upon us now, which I'm sure will be here any day (as soon as it dries out)!

To close, here's a quote by Lorna Harder, one of our instructors for class, that I thought was wonderful. It is on this sign right by the area where we did a prairie planting with our class at Dyck Arboretum.

I can definitely relate. I can now recognize a "few faces" on the prairie,
but have much more to learn:)

No comments: