A family of six enjoying life and determined to spread awareness about Ectodermal Dysplasia, and our life with two children having EEC Syndrome
Thursday, March 19, 2009
Thank Goodness for Friends and Family
Last night our Cain cousins brought supper to the hospital for us and our friends the Schroeder's (lucky to be in Kansas City for Spring Break) came to visit Tyler. It was great to see familiar faces and be distracted a little. Our night was pretty good. I enjoyed the built in mat bed by the window and Chris was the lucky one chosen to sleep on the bed with Tyler. They actually had a pretty good night also. Tyler made good use of his medication button as he used it whenever he woke up.
The Schroeder's came back this morning and Addison and Ty did a great job entertaining Tyler. They played Webkinz for a while and the "fun lady" (as she called herself) brought in a couple board games. They sat on Tyler's bed playing Candyland and Chutes and Ladders. This was great for him to take his mind off things and keep him busy, but then of course he got a little sleepy and needed a nap.
Before he was dismissed, he had to be on oral medication. This was a pretty smooth transition for him although he didn't have the luxury to push the button then when he was in pain. Then physical therapy came and worked with him on walking with his walker (for short distances) and how his wheelchair works (for longer distances). They informed us that they very rarely have children this age use crutches due to the higher risk of falling and that is the thing they do NOT want him to do. So, walker and wheelchair it is.

We arrived home around 7:30 this evening and have made the transition pretty well. Tyler is laying on the couch downstairs (yes, we carried him down) and we're all just relaxing a little. It feels good to be home and we'll be taking it easy for the rest of the weekend.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Hey! Glad to here things went well. We'll continue to pray for patience for Tyler and a fast recovery. I think Tyler looks better than Dad. :) Have a great night.
Ryan (your awana game director)
I'm so glad to read these updates. Yeah for Tyler! I hope the recovery continues to go smoothly!
Glad you made it home. I pray he had a good night in his own bed.
Unfortunately, he didn't sleep in his own bed. He kicked me out of bed!!! He's still in a lot of pain and needs medicine every 4 hours so we had him upstairs to give that to him --- we couldn't leave him downstairs yet.
So pleased things have gone well! What a brave kid! I'm so proud of all 6 of you! fh
DeAnn - Hi! It's been a long time since I've "seen" you. I read about your new blessing in the BC bulletin and wanted to re-connect. You've had so much going on with the surgeries and moving into the new house . . . you amaze me!
I remember when Ryan and Evan were only months old and we were doing KinderMusik together! (John and I just have Evan - he's into chess, piano and swimming.) I had to laugh when I read you didn't know what you'd do with a girl - HEAR YA! So great to see your beautiful boys and your delightful house . . . hope it's feeling like home and that Tyler is feeling like his ol' self soon. Hang in there!
Sher U-F
Minnesota
Post a Comment