Friday, December 9, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

I can't believe it is December already ... as always I'm wondering where the time has gone.  November seemed to just fly by and when I think back, I'm not sure where it actually went.  Soccer for Tyler ended (which he loved), Middle School football ended for Ryan (they had a great season too), and Thanksgiving came and went.  Chris and I as well as a couple other people organized a community praise and worship service called Saturday Night Alive on November 19 at Greer Gym in Moundridge.  It was an incredible evening of praise and worship ... the Eden Praise Band, that we are a part of, led the service with singing and we had Chris' uncle bring a short message.  If you don't know it already, Chris has a gift of  worship leading and did an excellent job leading the group in worship that night!  We served kettle popcorn, coffee, hot chocolate, and cookies.  There was a great turnout of about 130 people or so (which for our small community is great) and I believe everyone left the gym with a smile on their face after singing praises to God!  We're already organizing our next one for January and are hoping to make this at least a monthly event, if not more frequent. The positive response from those in attendance has been amazing!

We also took a short break one Saturday morning to have family pictures taken at Dyck Arboretum in Hesston.  It was a little chilly that morning, but the results of the pictures made it all worth it! 



One Saturday someone posted on Facebook that they had 4 Chiefs tickets for the game the next day against the Broncos.  So, spur of the moment (we've been wanting to take the older 2 boys for along time) we purchased the tickets and went to Kansas City for the game.  The not so good part was that it was the start of their losing streak and they did not play very well.  But the positive part was the experience of the game from the 2nd row at the 30 yard line ---- it was awesome!  Just being there was a great experience in itself.  I had not been to a game in over 20 years and Chris had only seen one other one ... the boys had a great time too!
 


We are heavy into basketball here and are experiencing the newness of Middle School basketball.  Ryan has had 2 games already and they are undefeated.  We will round out the next week and a half with 3 more games before the break.  It is so fun to watch these boys play together on a school team.  We've been watching them for years in recreation ball and MAYB, but this takes it to a different level and it is great to see. Ryan is playing B team and gets to "suit up" for A team.  He's excited about that and working hard.  Tyler has also started his recreation basketball season and they are currently 1-0.  I'm helping coach (not in charge thankfully) his team of 6 boys ... it's fun!  Those are all on Saturday's and we'll have 2 more before the break for Christmas.  Of course, the evenings we don't have Middle School games we attend the High School games because the boys wouldn't want it any other way.  They love it!!




We're also anticipating this most wonderful time of the year ... Christmas ... the time for giving ... the time for being thankful ... the time for understanding the most incredible gift ever given - Jesus!  Fortunately, we were able to get all of our Christmas decorations up over the Thanksgiving weekend because if we hadn't, I'm not sure we've had a moment to blink since then to do it.  I love the brightness the tree and garland with lights bring to a home ... driving at night and seeing Christmas lights ... and just the joy of many people during this season.  But as we were reminded Wednesday night at our community youth group (which Chris and I have started leading music at and being a part of), not everyone has heard the Christmas story and knows what it is really about.  That is so sad!  Although each year I'm sure I get caught up in all the "hype" of Christmas, all along I know that we celebrate this amazing holiday because of the birth of Jesus Christ - the Savior of the world!  It's hard for me to fathom not knowing the story ... but what a reminder that I have work to do here on this Earth.  What a rewarding gift we can give to people all year long, not only during the Christmas season!  So as I look to find ways to bring cheer to others this Christmas, I'm also concentrating and making sure my children realize the wonderful gift God gave them with the birth of Jesus, and encouraging them to give to others gifts too - even if it is just a smile!  Sometimes that's all that is needed.   So as we celebrate Christmas, let's keep the real reason for the season at the front of our minds and reach out because we never know when we may be touching a heart that may not know about Jesus.  Merry Christmas and blessings to each of you!

No comments: