Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

Christmas has finally arrived.  I want to enjoy this moment, reflecting on the birth of Jesus, and the real reason for the season.  As I reflect on Christmas, I'm reminded of all the blessings I've been given.  I continually realize that sometimes I move through life so rushed that I don't take moments to enjoy the "here and now".  That is my goal for this holiday break, to begin to enjoy all the wonderful things that happen at the moment . . . and be able to slow down to take it all in.

This isn't a new realization for me . . . I've recognized it for a while now, but after an intriguing conversation with my uncle yesterday, I've really been thinking about it. During our conversation it came up how before I know it, I'll be 25 years older, possibly considering retirement, and I'll look back and realize the last 25 years have gone by in a flash.  It will just seem like yesterday that I was sitting there talking to him about it.  And my children at that point will be ages 37 (close to my age now) on down to 27.  Where will the time have gone?  Will I have taken the time to enjoy the moments?  Will I slow down enough to know the moments to enjoy?  The other discussion was how sometimes, as younger people, we feel the generations older than us are "missing out" on things and not staying up with what is happening now.  But . . . in all actuality, we determined that they are "choosing" to miss out on those events . . . they have figured out the value of slowing down and taking the time to do the necessary things, but not all the extras.  Hmmmm, my thoughts on that confirm what I've always thought, "Age creates even more wisdom and those older ones earn the award for being much more wise."

So, as I sit here on the eve of the most amazing day of the year, the day Jesus was born, I am praying for more wisdom.  I am praying for the strength to slow down and be able to say "no" when necessary to enjoy the "here and now".  My children are growing up incredibly fast as it just seems like yesterday that Ryan was born but in reality it was 11 1/2 years ago.  Also, I realize I do not have that much more time to have them living under my roof to teach them everything they need to know before being on their own. That's a lot of pressure as a parent, but one I am willing to embrace and put my energy into.  Parenting is a gratifying, rewarding job daily, and I'm sure I'll learn even more about that over the next 25 years.

Now, on Christmas Eve afternoon, I'm starting right now . . . sitting here enjoying time with my children, allowing things in the house to just be as they are, a mess, and take in the moments before they pass me by:)  I'm determined to recognize the moments to enjoy as they are happening . . . not look back and wonder where they went.

Merry Christmas everyone and may you enjoy this holiday season with your loved ones, family, and friends!   

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm smiling through my tears!! May you truly "treasure the moments," and may there be moments for us to treasure together! Love you!! fh

Crescent said...

I'm just now reading your post. This was very good my friend and a perfect goal for you;) I wish you success in your endeavors and pray that the Lord leads you DAILY!!

Love,
Crescent