Saturday, April 10, 2010

Amazing Abilene Athletes

Okay, how long have we had a blog now, and I have never posted on it? There is a first time for everything, so here goes. This past Saturday DeAnn and her good friends Cara and Melissa achieved a huge goal. These girls have been training together for several months to run a half marathon, and Saturday was the payoff. I must admit that at first I thought they were crazy, but we are all so very proud of them. They all did so awesome and finished the race in just over 2.5 hours (without walking at all!!!!)! Here are a few photo highlights from the big day.


Here are our three heros before the race- all smiles


Even I was smiling, up at 5 am on a Saturday when I was off work


Runners take your mark, get set, go!!


Not quite the Boston Marathon, but a cool site seeing all the runners at the start


The race started at 7 am. Since I wasn't running I walked about 3 miles out of town to try and catch the ladies at around the halfway point. As I looked off to the east, I saw the most beautiful sunrise, and just had to capture this wonderful site.



Almost halfway, ladies. Looking good!!!


Over halfway --- it's all downhill from here!!!


Only yards from the finish line. I think the smiles are from delirium.


Here they are after the race. WAY TO GO, GIRLS!!
Just look at those winners. It was a great day.

One more side note. The shirts DeAnn and I had on were again part of our family mission to raise awareness about ectodermal dysplasia and the NFED. She used this event to "run for a cause" and just through facebook raised around $1,125 for the NFED. Thanks to all who gave for the NFED. More importantly, thanks to all who supported, prayed for, and encouraged these dedicated ladies!

~Chris


2 comments:

Rhonda said...

Great job!! I am inspired, but maybe not quite enough to go THAT crazy! :)

Unknown said...

Great job! You are inspiring...